The Joys of having CF

The Joys of having CF

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Veins

Now, you're all probably thinking this is a weird post. I am posting about one of the downfalls of having CF. Now I LOVE CF. I love the IV's, I like going to the hospital. I don't mind all of the extra baggage that comes with CF. Now as you have probably read, about my wonderful E.R. visit Monday night, I did have an IV so they could get blood drawn and fluids in me. Now they had to poke 2 times!!! to get an IV. Now for those of you who know about my CF, you may or may not know that my veins aren't so good. I have had LOTS of PICC lines(so many to where I can't have anymore in my left arm), and lots of temporary IV's and lots of blood draws, and by having all of that it makes it hard to get IV's in. So, anyways~~my veins in my left arm are usually GREAT(most of the time), and the veins in my right arm usually aren't(most of the time). Well, on Monday they tried to get an IV in my left hand--it was a success, then they tried to draw blood from the IV to get it all done with one poke. BAM! IV's gone! Stopped working! GRR!!! So that means try again. **sidenote--we have a rule that they are only allowed 2 pokes and if they can't get anything with the 2nd poke their done trying**. So the nurse is allowed 1 more poke, she goes for my RIGHT hand. I'm a little leary but if she thinks so okay. Well she gets the IV in YAY!! they draw the blood!! GOOD SIGN! and-------IT STILL WORKED!!! What a good nurse. So my point of this is that when you have medical issues sometimes your veins become weaker and harder to use. So with that i'm going to share some pictures of some of my past IV's i've had. The first picture is the second try from Monday, the second picture is from the first try from Monday, the third and fourth pictures are from September 09, and the last one is from January 10'. Enjoy!!













2 comments:

  1. Paige, I have to admit that one in your arm and leg is kind of icky....

    I'm not so good with that kind of thing. It's a good thing that you are as strong as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they don't feel as bad as they look though! you never even feel them when they are in. I usually keep them covered so nobody see's it. :)

    ReplyDelete